No child is prepared to face a serious illness or to be admitted to the hospital. A Certified Child Life Specialist serves as their guide to this strange new world.
For decades Certified Child Life Specialists have improved children’s lives by providing their clinical and emotional expertise. Using evidence-based techniques, they have the skills to support a child’s emotional and physical development throughout their stay at Golisano Children’s Hospital.
Every donation to the Child Life program helps us provide these important services:
- Pre-admission and pre-surgical tours
- Activities in the playroom, teen lounge, and bedside
- Preparation for medical tests, procedures, and surgeries
- Providing a sense of normalcy for children coping with serious health issues
- Reducing stress to help recovery and allow children to cope with their medical situation
- Bereavement support with team members in the PICU and NICU
- Special events such as pet therapy, clowns, as well as planning birthday and holiday celebrations